

VASHON PARK DISTRICT BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS

MEETING MINUTES

Ober Park, Evergreen Room, 7:00 pm

DATE: Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Commissioners attending: Lu-Ann Branch, Doug Ostrom, Scott Harvey. Joe Wald and Bill Ameling were absent. Lu-Ann chaired the meeting.

Staff attending: Jason Acosta, Elaine Ott

ISSUE	DISCUSSION AND OUTCOME	FOLLOW UP
Call to order & agenda review	The meeting was called to order by Lu-Ann. She reviewed the agenda.	
Public Comment	Capt. Joe: We have ended the regular tourist season. There is no way to keep account, but sometimes 100 people per day show up. The numbers go up for Low Tide. On June 25th there was a super low tide. We had a great season. Many people came from off-island.	
Approve August Minutes and Vouchers	Scott: I MOVE THAT WE ACCEPT THE MINUTES AND VOUCHERS. Doug: SECOND. VOTE: 3-0 IN FAVOR.	
Financial Report	<p>Elaine: Cash statement: Administration is under 20K, mostly due to the election and lower education costs. Jason is under budget 5K. Commons is over.</p> <p>Pool: On 8/18/2015 we were about a month behind. There are thousands of transactions. Wages went sideways attributed to bad budgeting. Scott has been under 10K since I have been here. I am seeing a definite trend in wages. He is 10K over in wages. There is still more reconciling to do. We closed three weeks early. There is a shortfall in revenue at Fern Cove for no particular reason.</p> <p>Capt. Joe: Eric does a great job out there. The place looked great this last weekend. Cleaning staff has been a problem. Eric will do the cleaning himself if there is no one else to do it.</p> <p>Doug: The pool is less of an expense than we expected?</p> <p>Elaine: We are less ahead than we thought. Jason has picked up some work at VES to save money. There is a change order. I have borrowed 150K on the TAN to pay the contractor.</p>	

<p>Climb Vashon</p>	<p>Dimitri Antonelis-Lapp: We are wondering about the Park District’s interest in a climbing wall. It would help build skills for kids and community members. People could see what it is like to rock climb. It would need to be in a community space. I had a meeting with Elaine and we talked about maybe having it at Burton Park. I have been in touch with the Stewards there. In terms of building, we talked to Greg Wessel this last week and he will help fill out a permit. There will be no concerns about Judd Creek. We could have a couple of fundraisers. We would fundraise to VPD and open in 2017. We want a kick-starter fundraising event. I have spoken with Chuck and Amy. We are a loose Vashon group created this summer. We have been talking with the BARC stewards regarding fundraising. BARC is interested in a climbing spot. Kids could come along with parents. Maybe have VARSAs team nights. The budget is presented at \$126,500. We want a 9K annual operating cushion.</p> <p>Doug: Your annual operating expenses are low.</p> <p>Dmitri: We are talking to a New York person about whether it is prudent to “climb at your own risk” space. Regarding liability, it would be unstaffed at the moment.</p> <p>Elaine: I don’t see our insurance being increased.</p> <p>Scott: I am wondering about untrained people being in there.</p> <p>Truman: We looked at this before. There was a big liability concern. There is a way to limit the height with a huge padded pit.</p> <p>Elaine: It may need to be closed and locked.</p> <p>Doug: My son is a huge admirer of this sport. Would we make money off of it?</p> <p>Dimitri: We are looking at this from a non-profit perspective with any excess returned to VPD. Certainly it would be cheaper than going off-island.</p> <p>Scott: You would need to have an operating budget. We need a responsible person there.</p> <p>Dimitri: Elaine and I talked about us coming back to the Board in February.</p> <p>Beachcomber: Will there be equipment?</p> <p>Dimitri: Yes, if locked with set hours. We want kids to rent equipment.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: Are there facilities where it is not staffed?</p> <p>Dimitri: The only one that I know of is in N. Bend. It is unsupervised and unstaffed. We want to see a year-around facility, like the Evergreen State College. It was staffed by volunteers.</p> <p>Doug: How does this fit into our long-term response to acreage? This is a premier facility. I don’t know what the long-term plan is for the space.</p> <p>Elaine: The master plan sees a built-out skate facility.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: There is disc golf and bike activities there, too.</p> <p>Dimitri: There has been a huge amount of learning for me. It is great fun to pass on those teachings. I see it as a community place.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: Is there an architect or engineer?</p>	

	<p>Dimitri: Environmental Works designs community projects for low income people. I will go to a meeting next month and seek help from them.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: Pictures are always good. This is just an information session then?</p> <p>Dimitri: Elaine and I talked about getting some Board approval at the next meeting. Maybe there is more work for us to do.</p> <p>Scott: You are talking about extra money. Make plans. As long as you address our concerns, I think that we are all open-minded.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: We are supportive of the idea. There are a couple of things that I am concerned about. The budget seems slim. If I don't see engineering and architectural plans, I get worried. We don't want to get into a situation of unplanned expenses and on-going expenses. Most of our projects are from established groups. Maybe get more involved. My sense is that it can be vibrant only if there are classes, etc. The liability issue is a big deal.</p> <p>Doug: What can we do to help?</p> <p>Dimitri: I hear your issues and what you want to see from me.</p> <p>Scott: Going on to fundraise would help us see the seriousness of the plan.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: A kick starter campaign would be good. Big donors and others will tell us about the energy behind this. We have had projects at BARC that fell through.</p> <p>Peter: Have you talked to people at the O Space? They have a tall ceiling.</p> <p>Dimitri: What if we raise funds and it turns out to not be workable?</p> <p>Scott: We can't make commitments. We can't speak for new commissioners.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: We want to be helpful. We want something to be here to stay.</p>	
<p>Pool Repairs</p>	<p>Elaine: We are aware of problems that need to be addressed right now. There is an inlet valve that has broken. The valve to the intake is stuck open. This is not insignificant. If water dissipates, the walls could cave in. We can't have all this water going into the pit. Scott estimates the cost to be 5K. Also, the sump pump is not good. We have an acid room and have raised concerns about the wiring -15K. Kids have been jumping over the fence and going into the pool at night. It would cost \$600 for surveillance cameras.</p> <p>Scott: What is the urgency of the water problems?</p> <p>Elaine: It needs to be done before the next season.</p> <p>Scott: How reliable is the work-around here? There are multiple problems. We need to address the leaks first. Security cameras? I have a question about liability.</p> <p>Elaine: A sump pump costs about \$350.00. I don't know about the acid room.</p> <p>Lu-Ann: I will get more information from Scott.</p> <p>Elaine: We can do these things. We can find 6K.</p> <p>Capt. Joe: Any thought to do any complete feasibility report.</p> <p>Elaine: It is necessary. I believe that it must happen soon.</p>	<p>Elaine/Jason</p>

Feasibility Report

Bob: I am a friend of the Vashon pool. I want to thank Joe, Elaine and Lu-Ann. We had a rough start at the last meeting.

Barb: Bob had thrown out the idea of a feasibility study. I think that we caused a lot of reactivity. We wanted a more thoughtful approach. As friends, we don't want to continue to advocate a year-round pool. Preventive maintenance is necessary. I hope that you more fully understand our request.

Bob: The feasibility study is not just about covering the pool. It is about figuring out what we want/need, an in-depth look. It would look at what needs to be repaired and what might be new. How appropriate is the pool for competitive meets? Build skills. Should we be looking about covering the pool? There was a feasibility study done in 2009. It left a lot to be desired. It described a far more extensive facility than we envision. It only included what it would cost to build, not what it would cost to maintain it. Two-three months ago we talked to the staff about this and how it would be paid for. The benefits will allow us to set priorities. What we are asking is funding of \$7,500. \$6,500 is our ballpark. If you approve the study you want to approve more. The reports would include facts and figures.

Barb: This is not a request to fund a covered pool.

Doug: You talk about the idea of a year-around pool.

Scott: You are looking at upgrades and the feasibility of a year-around pool?

Bob: We are looking at a full spectrum of costs. It would give us the information we need to come up with a plan. We need to have all the facts.

Doug: Cici sent us a report from New York. Is it better to fix short-term problems first?

Bob: It is many parts of the pool. It is all phases of the study.

Doug: One extreme is to close it and the other extreme is to rebuild.

Bob: Our experts said it would cost a huge amount of money to rebuild.

Doug: The Connecticut study said to do a new facility. The study should not be narrow. This is an extensive study.

Barb: We hope this would help make decisions.

Doug: A year-around pool is expensive.

Lu-Ann: It would only look at the facility, not the operations.

Bob: The administration of the pool depends on the operating plan.

Lu-Ann: One thing to consider is the size of the community. A study could tell us what is efficient. I know that the concrete for the deck might cost one amount if you aren't putting on tools for a cover.

Capt. Joe: The valves are telling us something. If the bid that Bob and Barb are putting forward does not include work on all the piping and valves, we need to take a look at that. That has to be done before talking about putting it out for bid. We would have an ORCA plan. Get somebody in to look at the valves and pipes. If we do the ORCA, one line item is to test and inspect all valves and piping. A lot has changed since this was put together years ago. I can tell you from being on ships, if you have one leaky valve, you have others.

Barb: ORCA has just updated the Coleman pool.

Unidentified Woman: When was the last time an inspector looked at the pool?

Lu-Ann: 12-15 years ago.

Unidentified Woman: An aquatic engineer should be the first step. After that is fixed, there are professionals who can come out.

Barb: Preventive maintenance.

Capt. Joe: Remember the VSD bond. They had to ask for maintenance money.

Scott: We need to study this. There is no money left over from the pool. I'd be more supportive of doing this in the 2016 budget.

Barb: You get into a reactive fixing mode. You need to be proactive.

Scott: I believe that maintenance is paramount in all of our facilities. We know that we have a big hole in our budget. It is a matter of timing.

Jason: I didn't know about the valves. We have some pipes that come from the filter room, running underground. There are two huge valves. I have talked to plumbers. One route is to go overhead. The boiler passes inspection although it is old. I don't know what it would cost to replace.

Scott: I believe that maintenance is paramount in all our facilities. It sounds like you are working with Scott to develop the scope of work for immediate needs. Jason and Scott should be figuring this out.

Lu-Ann: Scott is super-mechanical. We need a plan. Scott may have one.

Capt. Joe: Have someone look at it soon. This is the time to do this.

Elaine: I agree, a large scale study should be done after March. You have to start now.

Lu-Ann: What would be the timing of the feasibility study? We need a timeline.

Bob: Some things have to take place when the pool is drained.

Elaine: You want us to do an analysis.

Doug: I am kind of with Scott on this. The feasibility study could be done in two parts.

Lu-Ann: It seems like we need to know if we just do the repairs, will we be limited with expanded repairs.

Bob: In terms of a cover, it wouldn't take much.

Barb: It is short-term and long-term.

Peter: Doug's point of staged repair would make more sense now. Having people who know about valves and how they should operate would make more sense.

Jason: Our job is to make a list of what needs to be looked at.

Bob: ORCA would look at everything.

Scott: They need to be as detailed as possible. No surprises.

Unidentified Man: What is the next upgrade? Our real need is to know real liabilities of this asset. We need to look at all the things that could break.

Peter: Don't cover the pool and miss fixing things that break.

Bob: ORCA will not want to do this if they think that they are in a three-way competition.

VES Update	<p>Elaine: Jason is working around the bathroom. The remainder of the construction fence needs to be taken down. Maybe move the raingarden to sound soil? I didn't lay that into the budget. We are waiting for a soil report from TUMA.</p> <p>Jason: I have many plants to plant on Friday. Any volunteers are welcome.</p> <p>Elaine: There is a new hiccup from the summary judgment. Gay will not permit us to put the fence up until the boundary lines are re-evaluated. There is no reason for us to do this. If she wants a survey, she can do it herself. We are bound by the summary judgment.</p> <p>Scott: I say that we should send her a certified letter saying just this.</p> <p>Doug: Give her fair warning as she may try to stop it.</p> <p>Scott: Why are we putting up a fence?</p> <p>Elaine: We agreed to put it on our side of the trees.</p> <p>Scott: When should we do it?</p> <p>Doug: It doesn't do any good to try to talk to her. You are not going to get anywhere with her.</p> <p>Elaine: Two years ago there was an ombudsman involved. I think that I will send her a letter and cc Elizabeth.</p> <p>Jason: Since the asphalt was done, there is no protection for our fields. If someone does go in and decides to do donuts, we could be looking at thousands. I think that we need a fence. Rocks can't be put in there. I think that a chain link fence would be the way to go.</p>	
Adjourn	<p>Scott: I MOVE THAT WE ADJOURN.</p> <p>Doug: SECOND.</p> <p>VOTE: 3-0 IN FAVOR.</p>	
Next Meeting	October 6, 2015, 7:00	

Respectfully submitted by:
Mary Reeves