

VASHON PARK DISTRICT BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS

MEETING MINUTES

Ober Park, Conference Room, 7:00 pm

DATE: Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Commissioners attending: Abby Antonelis, Karen Gardner, Bob McMahon, Doug Ostrom. Hans Van Dusen absent.

Staff attending: Elaine Ott-Rocheford

ISSUE	DISCUSSION AND OUTCOME	FOLLOW UP
Call To Order & Agenda Review	Bob called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Since only Captain Joe and Paul Rowley were there, Bob did not review the agenda.	
Public Comment	Captain Joe: The 1 st Friday of September, we have the art show at Point Robinson from 5 – 7 pm. This is the artwork done by the children from the Low Tide Celebration.	
8.13.19 Minutes; 8.10.19 – 8.22.19 Preliminary Vouchers; July Vouchers	Doug: I move we accept. Karen: I would like to make one comment about Sue Parker, who sends me the vouchers to approve. I asked for more information, and she religiously does so on items that are not obvious. My thanks to her. Elaine: I will pass that along! Bob: She was really helpful when I was treasurer. Abby: Second. Pass 4 - 0	Motion to approve 8.13.19 Minutes; 8.10.19 – 8.22.19 Preliminary Vouchers; July Vouchers. Pass 4-0.
July Financial Report	Elaine: Admin - \$22k ahead. <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Forecasting \$4k ahead in interest income – I budgeted low • \$6700 in payroll taxes due to the decreased rates this year • \$5k in marketing due to the lower levy postcard costs • \$6k bank charges – budgeted too high • \$4k in SWM fees, assuming the reduction and part of the credit hits this year Maint - \$45k ahead <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Payroll taxes down \$13k due to decreased rates this year • Benefits down \$10k due to intentional high budgeting • Mileage over \$4k due to the gate attendants • Materials under \$12k due to no top-dressing at VES • All else odds and ends Commons – over \$8300 <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Revenue is over by \$7k • Payroll is over by \$14k – inverse relationship to revenue Programs – at budget. We have \$30k of the \$50k left after 2 rec guides and Concerts in the Park. Planning a movie/concert at BARC and a community event – a big dance party? Pool Summer – ahead \$18k.	

- Revenue is up \$3k
- Payroll ahead \$8k
- Supplies ahead \$7k

Pt Robinson – ahead \$6700

- Revenue is down \$12k
- Wages and payroll taxes are down \$9k
- Extraordinary maint (painting QA) down \$8k

Fern Cove – ahead \$12.7k – mostly payroll; we just aren’t putting in the time there we anticipated
CIP – right on

Other – ahead \$11k - \$3300 Hoopster donation, \$8k VIFR

Ending cash = \$525k. We are way ahead of our reserve requirement of \$400,000.

Doug: In the worst case scenario, if the levy were to fail, what do these figures tell us about 2020.

Elaine: These figures are as close to what we know. Through July is actual; August on is forecasted to the best of our knowledge. It would be up to us (we have not had that conversation yet) about what we close and who gets laid off. It is a legitimate conversation to have.

Doug: In looking at the numbers, it looks as if, given the money we have going into 2020 and knowing our levy money will be zero, we might have enough to maintain our current level of operations until April.

Elaine: That is true if you wanted to go that route.

Bob: But at that point everything would be shut down.

Elaine: Yes, if we keep operations going, then we have no money, we lose everything. My recommendation is that you make immediate cuts if the levy fails in November. That way you can keep staff on for the year – I assume me, Jason, and Eric, since he can pay for himself through Lodgings.

Doug: Given the cash we will have, that will influence what we can do in 2020. It doesn’t look like there has been much change in projected ending cash in awhile.

Karen: I don’t know that I buy off on the reasoning that, if it fails again, we need to parse things out. Why? If it fails twice, the voters are giving us a real message. I would be inclined to say, “Okay! You don’t want a Park District!”

Abby: I go there, too.

Bob: But I can’t imagine anyone is thinking that. I think people are in a weird place with taxes in general and the Hospital District.

Abby: I would think that. I don’t think anyone says they don’t want the Park District. I don’t think there is malicious intent. To me, if voters fail it twice, that’s a clear indication that it’s not a priority.

Elaine: Especially since we brought the rate to bare bones – the lowest we can go to accomplish what needs to be done.

Bob: I was amazed on Thursday (at the Concert in the Park) I was chatting with John Sparks, the Sound Engineer. He said, “Isn’t it great that it looks like your levy is going to pass. We’ll be able to get the Dockton Park Marina fixed.” This, after he has been there every concert where you have explained it. It’s not like he’s a newcomer to this.

Doug: It can be very gratifying to talk with people even for just a few minutes. It takes just a few minutes to make the case to where they get it.

Elaine: I had a long conversation with a woman yesterday who is very park-savvy and does get all this. She can’t believe people who have lived here for decades gloss over the details. It doesn’t matter how much information is printed in the BC. They don’t try to understand!

Bob: The signs become invisible.

Doug: A high school classmate of mine has lived on the island 70 years, and she doesn’t get it. She doesn’t know the

	<p>difference between King County and Vashon parks. Bob: There is nothing we can do about people who don't want to pay taxes, but we do want them to be educated. Elaine: I would think our first step before making the decision to dissolve would be to have a big public meeting, like a forum, and find out why they voted us down. Doug: VCC talked in the BC about their budget problems and that they may be getting funding from the Hospital District.</p>	
<p>Fundraising Policy</p>	<p>Elaine: I have staff meetings every Thursday after our Board meetings, and I was telling them about the Senior Center fundraising for the Amsterdam trip. They wanted to know if staff can participate in fundraising efforts of that nature. I remember Hans making a comment at the last meeting that he wanted to buy a raffle ticket, so this applies to the Board, as well. Is it appropriate for staff and Board to participate in fundraising? And particularly raffles, it would be drawn by a disinterested 3rd party. Abby: I think this is fine. It raises more money. Karen: I agree. Elaine: The policy change reads: "VPD Staff and Board members may make donations and participate in raffle fundraisers, provided the raffle drawing is done publicly or by a disinterested 3rd party." Bob: I have another question about this policy. "<u>No project in excess of \$50,000 shall begin without matching funds in place.</u>" Why do we let any project start without matching funds in place? Elaine: That was a Scott Harvey addition. You are certainly welcome to change that. Karen: I think it makes sense to have matching funds no matter what. Elaine: I agree with you. Case in point, it bugs the hell out of me that we paid \$800 for this Village Green entry permit costs, and VIGA hasn't raised a dime. And now they are talking about moving. Bob: A smart way to do this would be to say, "No project shall begin without matching funds in place." Then leave it as a case-by-case basis if we choose to make an exception. Karen: I agree. Abby: I agree. Karen: I move to approve those two changes. Doug: Second. CJ: Is there anything in the RCWs that deal with this? I am wondering what employees can and cannot do in fundraising for their own organization. Elaine: I will report back on that. Doug: Also, when a private group is raising funds, do we exercise any oversight over whom they are raising funds from? The reason I ask is there have been national stories about contributors being groups like White Supremacists. What would we do about that? Karen: I don't know that we have the right to refuse a donation. You can't say yes to one party and no to somebody else. Elaine: It sounds like discrimination. We do have policy against people advertising or using our resources promoting religious or political things. Doug: For some projects, organizations are identified. I am wondering if we do have or should have options. Elaine: I'll look into it.</p>	<p>Motion to approve changes to the Fundraising Policy as follows: "VPD Staff and Board members may make donations and participate in raffle fundraisers, provided the raffle drawing is done publicly or by a disinterested 3rd party." And "No project shall begin without matching funds in place." 19-33</p> <p>Action Item</p> <p>Action Item</p>
<p>Point Robinson Modifications/ Lease Conditions</p>	<p>Elaine: I submitted our proposed safety modifications to the Coast Guard in mid-July per the requirements of the lease renewal. They responded by saying that Jeff Zappen, Waterways Management Specialist / Tribal Liaison / Lighthouse Coordinator, U.S. Coast Guard would be in touch with me. He asked for me and staff to meet. Bob, Eric, Jason and I met with Jeff Zappen a couple Fridays ago. What came of that meeting is the attached. This is</p>	

per Beverly that Zappen would be reviewing the modifications with us.

Interior modifications includes warning signage, hand holds at the top of the stairwell, and add a vertical post in front of the lantern (like we suggested) with two chains across the top of the landing.

On the exterior, he is in favor of the gallery deck repair, but that still needs to go through DAHP. And another chain would keep people from going out on the deck. That will be disallowed other than the guide.

Bob: And the reason for that is that the railings are not high enough. It will cost a fortune to do what they want us to do to the railings.

Elaine: Procedurally, until we have the fresnal lens agreement in place, they will only allow 3 people in the lantern room that includes the guide. No touching of the lens by anybody – not even you, Captain Joe. We need options for curtains that need to be historically correct.

Doug: Lanterns historically had curtains around them?

CJ: We have one photograph that shows shades that were on the sun side – the east side. Those have not been used for 100 years, and the lens has not suffered any damage.

Bob: There seems to be ultraviolet issues.

CJ: When it was a kerosene light, it had flammable material inside the lens. Today, it is electric. The lenses that have been in lighthouses for centuries have done well.

Karen: When I read this, I thought they really don't want visitors to the lighthouse!

Bob: No, that's not correct.

Elaine: To be honest, I didn't get that feeling. I got the feeling they just want to really up the game. If we're going to have visitors, the experience needs to be super safe and also the property – the lens in particular – is super safe.

Doug: But it's not their dollar, it's our dollar going into this.

Karen: It's a pity we can't have visitors on the deck.

CJ: We have had them safely out there for 20 years.

Elaine: I have been tasked with designing a safety and security plan. He sent me Alki's plan. It includes a safety briefing given by the guide; a volunteer stands guard at the museum level or the guide latches the door behind him; children must be supervised by an adult and counts as one visitor; no visitors on the deck; 1st aid kit at the museum level; and a fire extinguisher. He suggests we do mention the lead paint which creates dust and to provide hand wipes for people to use after tours. And hire professionals to dust and clean because of the lead dust.

Bob: You said the total of three people would be until the lens agreement was in place. My understanding was the limit will be three people forever.

Elaine: This was from his summarization and are his words.

Bob: You think we will be free to determine the maximum once the agreement is in place?

Elaine: I am certain we will not be. They will determine it in the agreement and the lease.

Bob: We'll need to talk to them about that if we get a family of three.

CJ: Alki is quite different from ours. It is a working Coast Guard station. It is not open to the public. It is not a park. Ours is a park. On Sunday, I give 200 people tours. When we went to the tower, I managed the traffic. I don't understand how much of this is negotiable. Too, understand we are working with two different commands. The gal in California is a civilian and not a sworn military person – she just writes the leases. I am a sworn military person. Zappen is a civilian. He works for a captain, and that captain works for the admiral at Alki. We may want to appeal whatever comes from Zappen to the captain, and if necessary to the admiral. Some of the items here are unreasonable, and we should be able to do better. If this is what we are left with, I will have to decide if I want to be part of it. We will not be able to manage the traffic on a Sunday in the summertime. People will be lined up to the car park.

	<p>Bob: Specifically, what is upsetting to you about this.</p> <p>CJ: 1) That we can't go out onto the gallery; 2) Only 2 people up the tower at a time; 3) That we have some sort of implication that this is now such a safe thing that nobody can possibly get hurt. Steps, by definition, have danger to them, and that's exactly what happened to Barbara. The handrails would not have made any difference.</p> <p>Bob: The chain at the top of the steps would have made a difference.</p> <p>CJ: No matter what we do, we'll need 2 people out there all the time. I can't go up and down 37 steps to take up 2 people up at a time. I'm not going to do that, and I don't think you'll find a volunteer who will.</p> <p>Abby: I understand what you're saying. It sounds like we have time to deal with it before they come to us with a formal agreement.</p> <p>Elaine: Next steps are that Beverly wrote to me and copied the CG officials on it, saying they will review Zappen's recommendations, and they will get back to me. I can preempt that identifying the concerns we have, or I can wait for her to contact me and respond afterward.</p> <p>Bob: The gallery issue is the railing height, and I know you have said we have never had an accident out there, but you and I both know that is not an argument that is going to work. I would have no problem with people going out there if we could raise the railing. We had an idea that was pretty inexpensive, but they want it to look like it was original. That is the sort of thing I think we can appeal.</p> <p>Abby: We can't appeal anything until we have this decided by the Coast Guard.</p> <p>Bob: We need to make sure there is an appeal process. We can also appeal the 2 person in the tower rule.</p> <p>Elaine: I'll write to Beverly and ask about the appeal process.</p> <p>Abby: That's a good idea before we start thinking in any particular direction.</p> <p>Karen: I recently went to lighthouses in the South, and I recently learned they are closing them due to safety issues.</p> <p>CJ: We should also be able to clean the lens. I have been doing that personally.</p> <p>Elaine: Jeffrey Zappen will do it. He was very explicit that anything needing to be done to the lens will be done by somebody who is "Coast Guard trained." You are not allowed to touch the lens.</p>	Action Item
<p>Staff Reports:</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • BARC Update • VIFR Interlocal Agreement • Village Green Dog Policy • Vashon Community Food Center Letter • Agren Grant Project • Ober Grant Project 	<p><u>BARC Update</u></p> <p>Elaine: Judith Neary is hoping to secure funding from the Rotary for BARC for the ping pong table, chess stations, and a backgammon station. She would ask island artists to submit an RFP for table/seat designs to be voted on by Rotary members and ultimately approved by VPD.</p> <p>Karen: Where does Rotary get their money?</p> <p>CJ: Membership. They have a robust membership funding expectation.</p> <p>Abby: And they get money from the parent organization.</p> <p>CJ: And from the Rotary Foundation.</p> <p>Elaine: They recently publicized a small grant program that I applied for for Ober Park.</p> <p><u>VIFR Interlocal</u></p> <p>Elaine: No word from VIFR on the Interlocal Agreement. Sent to Charlie on 8/15.</p> <p><u>Dog Policy at Village Green</u></p> <p>Elaine: I did receive a response back from KC Dept of Health on our question about dogs at a Farmers Market. They said, "Thank you for question regarding dogs at farmers' markets. Yes, dogs are allowed to be at farmers markets and at other outdoor temporary events. The WA State Food Code generally states that animals, except for service dogs, are not allowed on the premises of a food establishment. The 'premises' is basically defined as the physical facility under the control of the permit holder. In the case of a restaurant that includes the inside kitchen and dining areas.</p>	

For outdoor food facilities with a temporary event or farmers market permit, only the area within the booth where food is prepared and sold is under permit. So dogs would not be allowed inside a food booth, but there is no such restriction in the food code for the general public areas of a farmers market.” Should we change the policy to allow dogs on leash?

Karen: I move that we change the Dog Policy as it applies to Village Green to allow dogs on leash.

Abby: Second.

Vashon Community Food Center Letter

Elaine: At the last meeting you asked me to get in touch with Rich Osborne of VIGA to find out whether or not they support this letter. Rich Osborne stated that many members of the VIGA Board are in favor, including himself, but they have not taken a formal vote as yet. He will do so at their next Board meeting and will include non-members, as well. He will follow up with me after that.

Agren Grant Project

Elaine: The field is done. (See photo). It needs to be closed until the sod is established. We will keep it closed until at least after the road is done in October.

Bob: How is it kept closed?

Elaine: There is a chain across the front at the road.

Bob: Isn't there somebody coming out a couple times a week to maintain it?

Elaine: Yes. This photo was taken yesterday after the first mow on Sunday by the head groundskeeper for the Mariners. He is good friends with the contractor and will be doing the maintenance for free for 30 days.

Ober Grant

Elaine: The permit process is underway. They have determined that it will take between 3 – 6 months. We wouldn't be able to get into this project until late spring. The question is how late we are willing to go before impeding on heavy use time? I said it gets pretty busy mid-April after spring break.

Karen: Is there any way to expedite?

Elaine: No, it's SEPA. We have until May, 2021 to do this, so the other alternative is to wait until the Fall of 2020 to start. One advantage to waiting is that one KCDA vendor has a grant available at that time. I want to go with one of them, anyway, since they are pre-approved. Otherwise it gets muddy. The grant is a 100% match. That would bring our budget for equipment to \$200k. It's a short application window, and we would have to have the equipment shipped by the end of the year. It's way too tight to do now.

Abby: Could you store it for now?

Elaine: No, we have no place to put it. Too, we would have to make decisions pretty quickly.

Abby: I like the idea to wait until Fall, because it gives us more time to plan and raise money, and it would be a shame to close the park in the spring and summer.

Elaine: That's the feedback I was looking for!

Motion to change the Dog Policy as it applies to Village Green to allow dogs on leash. 19-34

Levy Next Steps Communication

Elaine: I appreciate the feedback on the post cards. Post card to be in voters' hands by October 1.

Rec Guide out the 1st week in October.

November Candidate/Issues Forum – I was asked at the last meeting to reach out to Susan of the Beachcomber about this. Kristen Pesman of the Campaign Committee is taking this on.

My op-ed is coming out 8/29.

Bob: Who is doing the next Concert in the Park?

	<p>Doug: I am. And Hans.</p> <p>CJ: Did you want to talk about the Hospital District and Vashon Community Care? Susan Riemer wrote the VCC article, and at the end was the quote from Transforming Age, who owns VCC. McNamara said that he would be interested in getting money from the HD. The part not in the paper is that McNamara of Transforming Age and John Jenkel have talked. Dr. Mary Bergman of the HD collaborative has told me that the core group has not decided what to do with this approach from VCC. I told Susan that one of the reasons the HD failed last time was that, right before the vote, some private practitioners on the island said they wanted a piece of it, as well. The way that was managed by the then committee for the HD was pretty inept. It was one of the reasons the HD measure went down. This new group must figure out how to respond to the “latecomers to the dance.” The other part of the article that ties into this, as well, is that McNamara said the island will be expected to “reimburse” Transforming Age for the cost of setting up a memory care unit that has replaced the skilled nursing and rehabilitation unit. The community has not agreed to spend any money to do this. It was either a poor choice of words, or that is what they expect. The part that is of concern to me is that, whatever happens with the HD, the two districts need to work together to pass both levies for now and work out these details later. Otherwise, we’re going to tear the Island apart. I am going to one of the HD neighborhood meetings tomorrow night, and I intend to ask what they intend to do about this statement from VCC.</p> <p>Doug: Ultimately, it is not up to this core group, it is up to the elected Commissioners. Too, the 9 candidates were asked what they want to do, and they used the same language, which implies they have been talking. They talked about limited urgent care, which is a new thing.</p> <p>Bob: We’re voting for this District we have no idea what care we will receive and how much money they want. And now other groups want a piece of the action.</p> <p>Elaine: A woman recently reached out to me who was very well versed on the way this works. She pointed out the language we are using as “we <i>can</i> co-exist” is not very transparent, because the flip side is that “we <i>might not</i> co-exist.” She knew her stuff and really drilled in. She feels both Districts are being dishonest about not speaking about the potential effects to VPD. I explained why we are attempting to keep our message simple due to all the misinformation in April that lead people to think it is either/or.</p> <p>Abby: I was making that point last meeting.</p> <p>Bob: One of the things we worried about when we made that decision to keep it simple is that somebody would vote against us because they didn’t understand. At least we get a starting point.</p> <p>Elaine: I also pointed out to her that when you give out too much information, people glaze over. But she feels people need to know the truth. I would suggest that Hans have this conversation with the person he writes the op-ed with.</p> <p>Abby: I would think if voters aren’t told, and the HD takes 70 cents, voters will feel they are lied to.</p> <p>Karen: I think we simply say the truth: if the HD takes x amount, we’re fine; if they take 70 cents, we’re toast.</p> <p>Abby: I think that’s a reasonable thing to say.</p> <p>Bob: I do, too, but it needs to be said after the election. We need to pass first. It’s so potentially confusing to people when you talk about the amounts of money and how they can knock us down. It’s too much to grapple with.</p>	
<p>Adjourn 8:10 pm</p>	<p>Doug: Motion to adjourn Abby: Second Pass 4 - 0</p>	

Minutes by: Elaine Rocheford